Monday, November 7, 2016

Of Mice and Men Compared to "Umbrella" by Rihanna







                     In the novella Of Mice and Men written by John Steinbeck, a topic that is greatly explored is friendship. We can see how the two main characters, named George and Lennie, each depend on one another. They are always there for each other and could not survive on their own. This topic of friendship reminded me of a song I used to listen to when I was in elementary school called "Umbrella" by Rihanna. This is a song about being there for friends when they need you. More specifically, this song is about being there for each other during bad times. George and Lennie lived during the Great Depression, which was definitely considered as a hard time for all of America. No matter how many jobs that Lennie caused George to lose due to his crazy antics, George would never consider leaving Lennie to be on his own. Friendship can be a very broad and open subject, but I truly believe that Umbrella captures everything that Of Mice and Men is conveying to the reader. A couple lyrics from Umbrella that really remind me of Of Mice and Men are:

“When the sun shines, we'll shine together
Told you I'd be here forever
Said I'll always be a friend
Now that it's raining more than ever
You can stand under my umbrella.”


Image result for friendship sharing umbrella cartoon

2 comments:

  1. I love how you compared the reading to a song. The idea is very creative and i agree with the song choice of umbrella. When i think of mice and men it now reminds me of Umbrella.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you related George and Lennie's relationship to "Umbrella" by Rihanna! In my blog, I related music to literature as well, and I didn't even think about using that song for their relationship! I think that the it fits them very well and you did a great job with this post! -Emily Mullikin

    ReplyDelete